Saturday, May 4, 2013

Birthday Celebrations at Camden Passage


Lucky me! I got to spend the day with two of my favorite people, my son and his wife, Cristen, on her birthday last month. She decided she wanted to spend the day at Camden Passage,


so off we went for an adventure. London's fun like that--a treasure box of neighborhoods and places just waiting to be unlocked and discovered.


Located in the Islington area, Camden Passage is known worldwide as a thriving antiques village with shops and stalls full of this and that.


The  main trading days are Wednesday and Saturdays, but if you go on a Sunday like we did, you are still likely to find a few outside vendors and open shops to interest you.

What's an antique village in England without a silver dealer? You can find several antique shops in the area, as well as vendors who set up tables.


Even if you are there on days other than market days, you'll find all sorts of shops to entertain you, like this sweet shop, Issy's Milky Way,


or perhaps this vintage shop which caught our eye.


There were many beautiful one of a kind items there, including this wedding dress from the 20's,


along with many others. The day we were there, a bride-to-be was trying one on to use as a second wedding dress to change into for her wedding reception.


Wonder which bride this veil could charm?

Note to self--review Cora's wedding dress from the Downton Abbey episode to see her in a 1920's wedding dress again!


It's not uncommon to find furs at antique markets and vintage shops,


and Cristen spotted one right away that took her fancy. With a Harrod's label in the collar, and a marked down price on the tag,


it was too good a buy for a birthday girl to pass up, so it came home with her!


I fancied this mink jacket, but alas it was not such a steal, so it remained in place.

What do you think, should I have grabbed it while I could?



As meal time approached, there were several options, an outside cafe,


long queues for this spot,


The Breakfast Club,


Scotch eggs from one of the vendors,


fresh cheeses for a picnic, 


but Cristen decided on a smoked salmon sandwich,


and Jason and I got our "burrito fix" at Chipotle's.


Then it was on to the Columbia Road Flower Market,


where the sweet scent of floral arrangements


pervaded the air and made the fighting the crowds a little more bearable.


Wrapping up Cristen's birthday with a beautiful bouquet of flowers seemed like the best way to call it a day and head back home.

Best wishes and many happy returns, Cristen.

7 comments:

  1. Hello there Debi!

    I have got to make it out to London one day. Thanks to blogging, I have become more in love with GB through British blogger friends and lovely photos as such! What gorgeous places to have fun and SHOP! YES!

    Thank you for coming to leave a comment! You are going to REALLY be in Paris? FABULOUS! WOuld you like to join our party? Let me know, and if so, I can put you on our list to have a post ready for those dates! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! Today I've got up early and I've had a great surprise Camdem in my computer, I was there 20 years ago and it was a magic day. I enjoyed the tour a lot and all these years I've dreamed on going back. Thanks for sharing

    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great adventure Debi. I would start every other Sunday at Spitalfields or Columbia Road when I had a studio in the area.
    Paul
    Ps. You should have snapped up that mink! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Camden ,, not been for a few years,, but I am sure it has not changed :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to explore that area when we go to London again! What a fabulous day, Debi! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could definitely see your expertise within the work you write.

    The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren't afraid to say how they believe. All the time go after your heart.

    Look at my page Sac Guess Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy very belated birthday to Cristen. I'm catching up on blogs tonight.

    ReplyDelete