Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Taste of Texas

I've been taking a little grief lately from my Texas friends, that My Tale of Two Cities blog is more than a little lop-sided in my extended coverage of life in England. Guilty as charged, and so I set out this past weekend to try and give you a slice of life--Texas style.


Let me introduce those of you outside of Texas to the unbelievably popular Buc--ee's, a glorified gas station/convenience store that has been growing by leaps and bounds across the southern and central parts of Texas since its first store opened in 1982.



In Texas, we do things in a big way, and Buc--ee's is no exception. With a huge cult following now and, and its 25 stores being more of a destination than just a stop-off along the road,




guests are greeted when they enter the door by the iconic Buc--ee Beaver


and reminded at every turn that "Beavers Rule." Buc--ee's shirts are seen everywhere across the state, and the Texas teens have embraced the little guy with the overbite into their own wardrobes.

How many other gas stations have their own Facebook page and are celebrated on You Tube?


One of their more popular billboards scores of miles from the store is
You Can Hold It!
Because you see their early claims to fame were their immaculately clean restrooms,




"oops" not these,



which are decorated with Texas art-work,  offer roomy private stalls,  and have been featured on the national ABC evening news as seen here. They're "worth the wait!"




Many plan their meals while traveling, around their Buc-ee's stops, where you might choose from the deluxe samples of jalapeno cheese stuffed pork tenderloins,



the free Dippin Dots on this 100+ degrees day,



fudge,



BBQ sandwiches,



kolaches and cinnamon rolls,



a few healthy choices,



any candy you could dream of,



the ever popular Buc-ee's Nuggets,



or something from their own line of gourmet items.



You can shop for most anything in the main store, or their adjacent hunting/outdoors shop, including a chandelier for your home,



some Texas style furniture,



your animal skin rugs,



cowboy hats,



or "other" styles,



as well as your Texas souvenirs.



Kids love their own section,



where they can find their own line of clothing, pop guns



or horses to make their way around the state.



And for those of you with more intercontinental interests, you might even find something with an international flair such as this Lait à Chèvre-Goat's Milk lotion.

Our visit last weekend to the Madisonville store, midway between Houston and Dallas, was an entertaining break in our drive, and even though it wasn't quite lunch time, we managed to grab a few snacks on our way out the door, and I managed to check out those restrooms so that I could be accurate in my reporting!



You never know who you might bump into.

Maybe Willie Nelson?


And so off we rode into the sunset, with snacks and drinks in hand, knowing that our very first visit had turned us into Believers!

We'll be back!


16 comments:

  1. Haha!! Love it! Bucee's is definitely always our stop in between Houston and Dallas. We always have to pick up some SMOKED CHEESE. It's heavenly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I think it is a one stop shop for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even the sign out front indicated you should have a Dr. Pepper Icee! I do hope you purchased that hat for Mike - he makes a good blond! Can't wait for my next visit to Buc'ee's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We taught Kate to spot Buccee on the billboards long ago, as a way to keep her entertained on road trips. She still loves to go in and "shop"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I don't think there's anything like this in Europe - maybe, if I ever make it to that part of the world, I will have to see it for myself ;-)

    PS: I'm starting a little giveaway tomorrow, pop round if you feel like it xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay....lifelong Texan confession here...I have never encountered or heard of Bucee's. what a shame because it looks great (clean potty's to boot, too). So AGAIN, you have exposed me to a travel treasure even in my own "backyard". Now i need to have a Dr. Pepper Icee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks like on interesting travel destination...If I am ever in that part of the country, I will definitely stop in! Thanks for sharing, Debi! xxoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! This is a few rungs up the ladder from Stuckey's! Kinda like a Crackerbarrel, for the 'stop 'n' go' folks on the run.

    Thanks for the 'on the road tour' from deep in the heart of Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute post. I need that hat/wig Mike is modeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to Texas, unfortunately, but when I go, I'll know where to shop...

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOWDY!

    Oh my sweet friend, THIS IS GREAT! I have never been to Texas, but what a place to see if ever in the vicinity!!! I LOVE THOSE HORSES ON A STICK...I am 53 years old and I STILL WANT ONE!!! WOOO....that is not your ordinary fillin' station!

    THANK YOU for the kindest words and for bringing your sweet little JORDAN, is it? along for a visual ride through my blog! That is so cute. Well my friend, summer is over for us. Next week I start teaching, but this week is all about preparation in the classroom and learning new curriculum. It will be good.

    BIG TEXAS STYLE HUGS!! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have made it look so interesting and colourful.
    It takes a lot of hard work to compile this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my goodness, Debi! What an outrageous place – and your reportage is first rate. I really feel I know the details and what the atmosphere must be at Buc-ee's. I have to admit I'm very happy with all the London and Europe news you share but am glad to see the Texas side of life, too. Thank you! – g

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love beaver nuggets!!! They are a must buy every time I pass one!

    ReplyDelete