Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Time for Royal Souvenirs


I took the time last week to stroll by the Palace, Buckingham that is, and check the pulse of what was going on in the neighborhood. The ducklings were out with their mommy, oblivious to all the excitement going on around them.


Paddington went with me on my stroll and we bumped into some familiar characters in front of the palace--look like anyone you might recognize? They were creating quite a stir.



I'd been considering for sometime what I should buy for my Royal Wedding souvenir--something that would be appropriate that my friends here in Houston would ooh and aah over, something my children would not put into a garage sale upon my passing, and perhaps something that I could pass down to my children and grandchildren that they would cherish through the years.


The store windows have been full of ideas, like this window at Peter Jones in Sloane Square.


Perhaps there would be a "treasure" at the Palace Convenience Store located across from the Palace. I'm sure it's where the Queen pops over for a loaf of bread and some milk. There've been so many options to choose from, so in the next several posts I'll show you some of what I've seen. Today we'll look at some of the quirkier items and some of the junkier  less expensive things.


I mentioned this one before, but this plate has been a big hit.


Shopping at the souvenir spots around the more touristy areas, you can spot shot glasses, playing cards, notebooks, pencils, bells, ashtrays and coasters,


along with a wide assortment of plates and mugs from China.


Bags of all sizes


pens, magnets for your refrigerator


T-shirts


and party masks.
Did you spot anything that caught your eye?

In the quirky category, I think that the Butter London line of nail products has really cashed in on the occasion with their new color of polish, custom blended for the royal events.

No More Waity Katie

 Seemed appropriate after an eight year courtship.

Stay tuned for more souvenirs ahead in the next post. I think you'll find they have a little more class and a slightly bigger price tag.

7 comments:

  1. Out of control more than ever! Love those look-a-likes, too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's all sooo tasteful ;-) I look forward to your next - more upmarket - post. I hope you're well, thanks for your comments on my blog, I really appreciate it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see what you chose! I know it will be very tasteful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gal not so much, but the young man would cause me to look again. He does have the same general look as Will.
    I was surprised today while at the grocery store by the number of magazines sporting Kate or Will and Kate's faces. Last night on a news station they were reporting from England showing the signs of the growing excitement over the wedding. It really is not that far away now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just a stunning array of items, Debi!!! Thank you for taking us on these shopping adventures. But my favorite is your photo of the Park with the daffodils. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog on my own hunt for my favorite souvenirs for my blog as well. Lovely to see another great London blog! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete